- Piano Maintenance: Resolving a Weighty Problem
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
A very capable technician handily addresses a regulation issue. More..
- No Dumbing Down piano study for adult students
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
music of substance is at the heart of the matter. More..
- Physical Fitness and Piano Playing
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
Gym routines and how they kick in to healthy piano expression More..
- Adult Piano Student stumbling blocks and overcoming them
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
An overview of this pupil demographic More..
- My Piano Assessment adventure at the Steinway Gallery
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
My participation in an evaluation of Steinway, Boston and Essex pianos proved musically and educationally rewarding. More..
- Early Musical Exposure and its importance
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
A memoir woven into the narrative More..
- Does any one piano method or playing approach work?
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
The topic is explored. More..
- Tiers of dynamics, well-regulated pianos, and expressive playing
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
How all come together in the artistry of a great pianist More..
- How I Create Songs
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 by Cindy Tuttle
Sometimes people ask me how I create songs. More..
- Haydn on the Harpsichord or Piano? (Competition Interlude)
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
Elaine Comparone weighs in on the matter More..
- A Triumph for Pianist, George Li
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
First Round, Tchaikovsky XV International Competition in Moscow More..
- My Visit to the Faust Harrison Factory for Steinway Rebuilds
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
Both an educational and inspirational excursion More..
- Piano Technique: Remediating Peak Octave Scale Paralysis
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
with a staccato rendering focus (crisp, detached note playing) More..
- My Steinway M Grand gets Royal Treatment
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
Day ONE More..
- Stay Longer with a Piece for higher levels of learning and awareness
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
I mention a student willing to take the extra mile. More..
- An Adult Piano Student Who Builds Pianos and Restores Planes
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
A set of riveting retirement adventures! More..
- An afternoon with my piano student in Nature's Paradise
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
An inspired visit included a reservoir of sound emanating from a vintage Steinway A, 1911 More..
- Piano Technique: Playing Scales without bumps or accents
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
I provide lesson samples to illustrate. More..
- Climate Control and Pianos: A Conversation with an industry professional
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
Sam Bennett, Piano Works, Duluth GA imparts valuable advice for piano owners. More..
- Scarlatti's music that's within reach of the Intermediate level student
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
A worthy collection provides a repository of the composers keyboard works More..
- Playing a Bach Invention: Say what you mean and mean what he said
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
- J.S. Bach Prelude in C, Seymour Bernstein and I chime in
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
about voicing, harmonic rhythm and pedaling More..
- Approaching a brand new piece with spirit and emotion
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
Ways to be "engaged" from the start More..
- My Birthday Present to me: A new piano replenishes a loss
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
Losing one''s mother, even at 100 has profound impact. More..
- Piano Technique: Presence of mind and Breathing through scales
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 by Shirley S Kirsten
Two sample lessons are included. More..
All Music Articles >>>