I grew up in poverty and all but dropped out of life at an early age, Only the kindness of a few thoughtful people helped me through the early years. But they were enough. I slowly climbed back into the arena, and worked my way toward a few small goals, eventually earning a survivor's income. When such issues mattered, I earned 3 academic degrees, worked for the government for 20 years, and in the private sector for 25 years. Now, my focus has narrowed to the gentler arts of reading, writing, golfing, and sharing ideas. Mostly I annoy my friends with emails and give them advice they did not ask for, probably don't need, and amost certainly do not want. I find great humor and wisdom in Robert Frost's complete poem: "Forgive me, O Lord, for the little jokes I played on Three, and I will forgive the big one you played on me." Brevity is still a virtue.
The New American Challenge is my first book although I've been writing for about 40 years. It is a survivor's guide to everyday economics and market choices. Don't look for a textbook with lots of boring charts and data. It is a hard critical look at life in America. I've made the argument that life is good for about 20 percent, and not so good for the other 80 percent. Clearly, there is nothing startling in that observation. But when anyone tries to move up the economic ladder, obstacles appear at every entry point. That journey is the most formidable challenge you are likely to ever confront. You simply are not welcome to join the "top 20 percent" club. There are roadblocks everywhere. The first step in overcoming these obstacles is to know that they exist, why they exist, where they exist, and how to overcome them. You can spend a lifetime (as I did) learning about them in the school of hard knocks. A few hours with this book can help trim 20 rough years off your journey.
I've also written a lot of essays and some poetry, a few of which are posted on AuthorsDen.com. Stop by and read them if you can. There are many, many interesting articles, poems, and books by a diverse group of authors on this website.
I'm currently gathering data for a new book entitled "God, the Universe, and Us." It should be ready for publication by next year.