Now on sale, Terry Lloyd Vinson's admittedly warped take on those introverted masses amongst us; five tales of horror, suspense and mystery that attempts to shed some light on the loner psyche and all its idiosyncrasies, many of which we all secretly share. Two years in the making, 'RECLUSES' harkens back to Terry's past short-story collections such as 'The Dead Effect' and 'Half Past the Witching Hour', to include a chilling framework story that ties each tale together in a blood-drenched bow.
Loners. Introverts. Hermits. Labels attached to those willfully isolated individuals who prefer their own company to the companionship of others. Not all such lone wolf personalities are birthed, however, but gradually created-molded over time, perhaps even forced into a solitary existence by circumstances beyond their control.
Witness then, six such psyche-altering transformations and the grave events that led those involved down a dark, twisted road toward utter isolation.
- The slacker son of a best-selling horror novelist finds peace and tranquility on his late father’s personal desert island oasis, at least until an uninvited guest with malevolent motives floats ashore.
– On the eve of a weather-related apocalypse, a middle-aged man and teenage girl form a bizarre, uneasy alliance within the stony confines of a futuristic fall-out shelter.
– A self-professed hermit discovers little solitude or serenity after volunteering for a government funded project code-named ‘Introvert’.
– An alcoholic ex-cop attempting to elude his inner demons via a desolate, mountaintop hideaway meets a kindred spirit in the way of an enigmatic, amnesia-stricken woman whose own checkered past might well prove fatal to them both.
– A psychiatrist comes to the aid of a veteran soldier unable to shake the horrors of a past battle that claimed his soul-mate, only to discover the that the scars of war can birth the most malevolent of demons.
– With great dread and trepidation, a pre-teen boy with definitive loner tendencies is forced to partake in the hellish rituals of the annual family reunion.
Contrary to public opinion, there can be tangible reasons behind such stark, anti-social conduct, such as the deep, permanent psychological scarring that can occur from recalling unspeakable terrors from one’s past.
Thus to those referred to as ‘Recluse’, living a solitary existence is not nearly so much a preference as it is destiny.
Now available in Kindle edition at Amazon.com. Soon to be available in paperback edition and at other on-line retailers such as Fictionwise.com and Mobibook.com.