Just for Authors today
. Just for today I will be happy. This assumes that what Abraham Lincoln said is true , that "most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Happiness is from within; it is not a matter of externals. Just for today I will be happy with my writing as it comes from within it matters not what everyone thinks as it is not written for everyone it is written for you and me
2. Just for today I will try to adjust myself to what is and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my family, my writing, and my luck as they come and fit myself to them. Just for today I will accept what is as it relates to my writing knowing it is what it is.
3. Just for today I will take care of my body. I will exercise it, care for it, nourish it, not abuse nor neglect it, so that it will be a perfect machine for my bidding. Just for today my writing will nourish my body and not abuse it by overexertion or by wrong mental attitude
4. Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration. Just for today I will write something that helps me and others. May all my written words strengthen the minds and nourish the souls of myself and others.
5. Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways; I will do somebody a good turn and not get found out. I will do at least two things I don't want to do as William James suggests, just for exercise. Just for today I will write down what is in my soul, and with that have the writing heal the soul of others
6. Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress as becomingly as possible, talk low, act courteously, be liberal with praise, criticize not at all, nor fault with anything and not try to regulate nor improve anyone. Just for today I will agree with my voice of strength when it says write and I will write from my true self.
7. Just for today I will try to live through this day only, not to tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do things for twelve hours that would appall me if I had to keep them up for a lifetime. To help me live through this day. Just for today I will take time out to enjoy my writing and I will do the Authors tasks I do not like for a few hours
8. Just for today I will have a program. I will write down what I expect to do every hour. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. It will eliminate two pests, hurry and indecision. Just for today I will work on my writing program. I will have a complete program that includes all that needs to be done to achieve my writing dreams and goals
9. Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. In this half hour sometimes I will think of God, so as to get a little more perspective into my life. Just for today during my quiet half hour I will turn my writing over to God and have his hand move mine over the paper
10. Just for today I will be unafraid, especially I will not be afraid to be happy, to enjoy what is beautiful, to love, and to believe that those I love, love me. Just for today I will not be afraid to do what needs to be done to produce my works. Just for today I will allow success to come to me
If we want to develop a mental attitude that will bring us peace and happiness, here is Rule #1:
Think and act cheerfully, and you will feel cheerful.
Written by Sybyl F Partridge in 1916 and printed in
"How to Stop Worrying, And Start Living" by Dale Carnegie
Appended to by Tuchy Palmieri for Authors