LiNK: The Fascinating Ways Our Minds Connect is a call to action of how we can link our minds to foster sustainable and scalable outcomes both personally and organizationally.
Buy your copy!
Barnes & Noble.com
John Serpa Homepage
Have you ever considered the possibility that by merely observing the acts of others, your brain responds as if you were performing the act yourself? In addition, what if you knew that advances in neuroscience and behavioral psychology were discovering that this process within our brain, along with the non-verbal cues that result, function as a catalyst that alters outcomes within organizational and social settings? The answer to these and other questions like them has arrived—LiNK: The Fascinating Ways Our Minds Connect, presents a fresh look into seventy years of neuroscience and behavioral psychology that give us the reasons “why” organizations can be radically transformed with little expense of cash, and just a deft approach to how our minds link. With this knowledge in hand, organizational and personal development can be taken to a whole new level by leveraging these unique communication functions of our mind.
For organizations to thrive, their leaders must understand the suitability of their infrastructure, their operating sphere, and the people who carry out their mission. In regards to infrastructure, John describes the optimum systems that must be fashioned to ensure an organization is fit for purpose, conveys mission and strategy effectively, and continually measures its overall performance. Based on the latest discoveries in neuroscience and behavioral psychology, John conveys the means to harness this information to increase performance and vitality, organizationally and personally.
John then outlines a well-designed operating sphere as having the right people in the proper roles, possessing robust change-management practices, adjusting organizational clock-speed to avoid chaos and waste, and retaining mechanisms that embrace rivals for unilateral benefit. John then unpacks the enablers that propel people. This includes the ability to think critically, facilitate effective meetings, convey information concisely, and foster engagement practices that motivate others.
In aggregate, it is also a journey inside winning organizations and the minds of the masters who crafted them. John stresses, in particular, those attributes that winning organizations have fostered year after year and how they can be implemented within enterprises of all types and sizes. The book concludes by synthesizing all the tools and constructs presented in the chapters to validate their relationship in creating a sustained winning organization!
This story illustrates a poignant certainty. Build your organization on shifting sand and it won’t survive the onslaught of social, economic, and political waves that crash against its jetty. The latest technology, a rich legacy, and a pile of cash aren’t enough to hold back the raging surf. Rather, dynamic and dream-weaver leaders are the pylons that’ll keep it intact.
Where do I like to be? In a mind-bending organization, fashioned with a bulletproof infrastructure, enveloped in a dynamic and transformational habitat, and linked together with passionate, innovative, creative, and socially responsible partners. People who share one core mission—to develop the organization to its fullest potential. And now we have the toolkit to build one.
Neuroscientists, behavioral psychologists, sociologists, toddlers, neonates, and everyone in between have shown us the unique ways our minds connect to each other. It’s these unparalleled connections of the mind that buttress relationships and yield the ‘high-five’ results we’ve learned about throughout this trek.
But here’s the fine print:
It takes foresight.
Our primal nature is to seek out others and share in community. This necessitates a cadre of organizational leaders who extinguish smoke signals and perform the following:
• Foster blazing high-speed Wi-Fi neural networks that carry empathy and attentiveness to everyone.
• Prime the pump of human minds with stimuli that improves our ability to win organizational games of Trivial Pursuit and rotate the “discovery turnstiles.”
• Remove Muzak-laden waiting rooms and usher in the fever-pitched culture of Murphy’s Bleachers sports bar.
• Spearhead motivational moments.
• Intently learn about the cognitive makeup of the human brain.
• Ensure mechanisms are in place so that everyone hears the sirens, allowing the organization to maneuver the wrath of the bear’s cage and come out stronger when the storms subside.
• Listen and ask questions of everyone, especially the people on the margins.
• Give birth to presentations that transform audiences and improve “the SAY/DO ratio.”
• Embrace the World Café approach to boost the results of face-to-face conversation.
• Hone critical thinking skills with READS.
• Gird people with enhanced competencies for active listening, involvement, nonverbal signaling, and knowledge flow.
• Take on the role of a dream-weaver leader.
• Propagate empathic resonance.